Thursday, February 10, 2011

Purplepatch Training Camp

It was months ago when I first saw a link posted on triathlete Lindsy Corbin's facebook wall that gave up and coming triathletes a chance to train with Matt Dixon and his Purplepatch athletes such as Chris Lieto. If you have read any of my past entries I have only been running because it is so much easier to do than swim bike AND run but I thought, "What do I have to lose?" I sent in my race results and a little bio at the last possible moment and pretty much put it out of my mind until... I got a phone call from an unknown number about a week ago.

After I answered the phone Mr. Dixon introduced himself as the coach of the Purplepatch athletes using his awesome British accent. Immediately my heat started pounding and I had to do my best at restraining myself from jumping around the room in pure excitement and disbelief. Unbelievably I was one of the final five or six renaming athletes in contention to go train with the big dogs. We chatted for a little bit about athletic background, goals, and what I wanted to get out of the camp. But when the question came up about what races I was planning on doing this year, all I could come up with was, "I don't know." I have already had to pull out of three triathlons in the past year because of school and such so I am just going to bide my time for now until school is over, I said for the most part. A week after this interview (this past Monday) and as I was gearing up for my full triathlon comeback, I got the dreadful email saying, "thanks for your interest in Purplepatch Training Camp but our selection has already been made." Noooooooooooooooo...

But I have to keep telling myself that I had nothing to lose. My running is getting stronger and stronger and I am excited to see how my new running regime will shine come later this spring. Also, graduate school will not last forever, graduate school will not last for ever, graduate school will not last forever... Soon it will be all over and then I can return to my true passion, triathlon, and beat the pants off of that slow poke Chris Lieto.

2 comments:

  1. Beat Chris Lieto...haha you sound like Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude that is sweet that you you were a finalist. I sent in for that too, but i don't think they had any interest in me.

    ReplyDelete