Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Trip to Tucson

This will be just a quick little update on last weeks trip to Tucson, AZ. It was the day before Valentine's Day and Brianne was wondering if I wanted to do a relay race with her and we could compete with all the other couples. I agreed and it sounded like fun. We knew we would destroy everyone. After all, I did volunteer to drive so I might as well have a go at the race. Once we arrived at the race start, the relay Brianne and I were hoping to do wasn't exactly what we were thinking. It was your standard multisport relay. For example, one person swims and the other runs. But neither of us wanted to do one or the other so we would just have to do the whole thing separate.

The swim was 825 meters in the U of A's amazing outdoor competition pool with your transition to the run just there on the pool deck in front of your lane. Brianne was in the lane next to me and her main goal for the swim was to lap me. Once we were swimming I felt good and smooth for about the first oh... 75 meters and them my "runner arms" said,

"What the heck are you trying to do to us?! You haven't used us since September! Why should we work for you?!"

And then Brianne lapped me.

After the race both Brianne and I learned we swam an additional 50 meters. The lap counters where yelling at us to stop swimming but it is hard for us to hear them underwater. I was actually just following Brianne because she was ahead of me but she must have been so focused on lapping me she just kept on swimming until she lapped me. And I just kept following. So hahah Brianne, I guess you didn't lap me after all. Oh well.

I got out of the water and actually felt pretty good for not swimming more than a lap in five months. I took the time to tie my shoes, then double knot, and then tuck my laces in just like I've always done. I probably had the slowest transition out of everybody. It took me a couple of minutes and close to a mile to catch Brianne. She was moving pretty good and we exchanged words a couple of times throughout the run course. We finished in front of the pool where we started and were greeted by some sorbet ice cream and cookies. The U of A triathlon club really put on a great event.

After the race Brianne, Abby, and I explored a little bit in Saguaro National Park before making the drive back to Las Cruces. Tucson is such a wonderful city. I can't wait until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment