Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Day Off

Finally I have a day off from training. I used to dread the days off but now I welcome them. They are a time to absorb the training, look back on where you began and where you are going. For the most part the training has been going well except for the usual bumps that always pop up from time to time.

Currently, I just finished my three weeks of general conditioning. I start the outdoor (bike) sessions next week (depending on weather), and will slowly incorporate some endurance. Years past I always focused heavily on the swim and bike assuming my run will be there to take me the rest of the way. This year, however, I've been focusing a little more on the run and getting it back to where I think it should be. Running is tough, likely the toughest, but the most important discipline of the three. Getting it back has broken me down to pieces more than once but I am improving and learning.

Coach Matt along with masters swim coach Emily (both retardedly fast swimmers) have helped my swimming climb to new levels. I am easily swimming 30% less than before but my swim times continue to drop. Hand paddles and "the evil band" have become my new best pool friends (except when Brianne isn't injured). I never thought one could improve swimming 25s with so much rest but it is a cornerstone to gaining strength in the water :).

My cycling has been improving too. At least strength-wise, (speed-wise we'll find out later I guess). My rides are almost exclusively indoors on the trainer except for the occasional mt. bike exploratory session. The duration of the rides have been short compared to years past at this time, nothing more than an hour and a half but with plenty of intensity. Yes the calves and glutes are happy campers thanks to the weekly low RPM sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment