Saturday, February 2, 2013

Being a Grown-up


February already. Now that I work 5 days a week like a normal person, the time really seems to fly by. I get up, shower, eat breakfast, make a lunch, go to work, try to get things done (if I can stay focused), come home, spin on the trainer for 0:45 to 1:15, throw the Frisbee for Spruce, make dinner, read, and go to bed. Pretty exciting huh? I wonder if that’s how it works once you grow up. But luckily we still have weekends!

Every Saturday I make a serious effort to ride with a bike group. It is really the only way I am going to meet people and get involved. I never thought of myself as a liberal, just someone in the middle. But man, here in Tennessee if I open my political opinions up I might get shot! People ask me where I keep my guns. Why is everyone so insecure about being gun-less? I’m all for owning guns, shooting them, and don't hold anything personal against them but they are such a big deal to so many people. I guess I just wasn't raised that way. Maybe someday I’ll buy a gun and play with it or just let it sit in my closet... Anyway, sorry for the rant. So it’s nice to ride bikes with some like minded people. It’s the highlight of my week usually.

So I've given up running and swimming.  The pool is too far away and I’m bored with running I think. I've run my whole life and my odds of improving a lot more are small. However, I've never seriously giving cycling a go. Cycling was originally my weakest discipline in triathlon but I think that’s because I swam and ran a lot. My potential to improve in cycling is much greater than swimming or running. Plus cycling is way more social than having your head underwater or long solo runs. So we’ll see what happens. I've joined the local cycling team in the area, Team Volkswagen, so that should make cycling a little more motivating and fun. It’s nice to be a part of something more than yourself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment