Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Do As I Say Not As I Do

Well, after my sudden increase in running volume last week I guess something had to give. I have never experienced an Achilles tendon injury but the last several days I have been attempting to do what I can to make it better. It is not really injured, that is probably not the right word, but it is a nagging tender area that I am afraid to make worse. It doesn't cause me to limp and it doesn't cause me pain. What I really feel is tightness. I should probably do some more stretching before and after my runs.

It is funny because I never felt tired or fatigued on my 90 minute plus runs. It seems my aerobic capacity is top notch but my joints and tendons have forgotten what the constant pounding on the pavement feels like. Both my mom and dad used to be great marathon runners so I did a little interviewing and both of them basically had the same philosophy on marathon training; lots and lots of miles. My mom, for years ran 10 to 15 miles a day with a long 20 mile run on Saturday or Sunday. My dad's training sounded similar. "There were weeks I would run 100 or more miles, and do that for a month or two" he would say. I feel as though the training and distance aspect is possible but staying injury free is another matter. I know I shouldn't just give up but I really REALLY want to start riding my bike and swimming again, especially when things aren't working right.

On a good note, I look forward to some deep powder night skiing tonight at good old Mount Spokane! They have gotten almost a foot in the last 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment