Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Know, I Miss Swimming

Last week I watched our NMSU Triathlon team take on the NMSU lifeguard team in a game of water polo. To be honest, I thought the game would be a lost effort. There was positively no way we could beat the lifeguards in a water polo match, but we did! We won! After Thanksgiving break we played them again. This time the match was rough. In the first half we were evenly matched. In the second half the big-macho-overly-aggressive and pumped-up-with-way-to-much-testosterone-for-an-intramural-coed-water-polo-game lifeguards pulled away for the win. Yeah I was a little frustrated.

Watching this game did not get me excited for a rematch water polo game. However, what watching this game did for me was to remind me how much I actually did miss swimming. I look at myself in the mirror now and I can't believe just how much my body physiology has changed since June. I am weak and I am getting weaker. At least my upper body.

I always seem to reach a point where I say to myself, "Okay, that is enough, I'm getting slightly tired and bored of this now and it is just not motivating anymore." What I think I am referring to is running. The minute it get easy for me I seem to loose interest. But that is the whole point right? When the effort becomes easy you start getting good (better).

I think, even though this blog entry has completely derailed from where I intended it to go, I should just spell out my goals for my rediscovered running passion.

1. Break my high school mile PR (aka: 4:20)
2. Run a 33:00 10K
3. Run a solid half marathon (~1:15)
4. Run a solid marathon without bonking.

So there you have it. With luck, after posting these goals and making them public, my mind will remain sharp and focused on these new goals. Never mind those silly water polo games. Even though I miss triathlon dearly, I feel it is important to return to my original strength and build on things from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment