Sunday, December 19, 2010

Running in the Snow

Yesterday I got to run in the snow for the first time in over two years. I was excited to see the old trails and get a nice long solid run in while tromping through the fresh white powder. I was shooting for at least 90 minutes of running but after a mile the snow got old and it was downhill (or in terms of running, uphill) from there.

The sweats I was wearing quickly caked up with ice and began melting through my cloths. My old Mizuno shoes were also collecting hard ice packs in the hollowed out heel cup and made running difficult. It was like running with a golf ball on my heel. Every few minutes I had to keep stopping to dig the ice out so pretty soon my fingers were numb. After a half hour of hoping things would improve, and seeing that they weren't, I had had enough and turned around.

I have come to realize that I have been spoiled in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is always sunny and at least 60 degrees most of the time. Cold is tolerable with the right clothing but the minute moisture is factored into the equation... BRRR!!! I don't know how the people of the Inland Northwest do this winter thing but they are good.

3 comments:

  1. what about people in northern ohio? it was 5 degrees this morning!!

    your story pretty much explains why i dont really run in the winter anymore (now that i'm no longer forced to due to high school sports)! lol. i really like cross country skiing though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha welcome back to Spokane, It was good to see you down at runners soul today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the flickr photosteam on the side. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete