Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Mile

A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and made some public remarks about my running goals for this up coming spring. The first goal on my list was to best my mile PR set all the way back in high school when I was 17. It is a lofty goal to reach yes, but it can be done. The idea for today's workout was to go out and race a mile solo (unless you count Brianne who had the watch) and see just what sort of performance I could muster.

Running the first lap I made an important mental point to not go out too fast because I was racing solo. So, naturally, I went out too fast. By the 800m mark I was beginning to feel like a cooked turkey. The last two laps were nothing less than torturous but manageable. Although the time was decent, I definitely did not break any records.

Since this is the very end of the fall semester it marks the perfect transition point to start preparing for the spring season ahead. I will be heading back to Spokane, WA soon for a short break and will gradually start my LSD regime. LSD = Long Slow Distance (not what you think). Miles right now are important and a smart way to keep yourself injury free later down the road (no pun intended). At least in theory. Then maybe in six to eight weeks time, break out the strength exercises and hills. Finally after all of that work come the intervals. Hopefully my motivation lasts and the next semester will be kind to me.

Until next time, run happy.

1 comment:

  1. Dude if you are in Spokane and want to train you should let me know!

    ReplyDelete