Sunday, July 25, 2010

California

Two nights ago some more thunderstorms popped up around Las Cruces. The last two times I went out to intercept the storms they fell apart like a big old Jenga tower. I got nothing. The storms were looking promising this time but I didn't want to chance it again. Taylor mentioned that if I was going to go try my luck shooting lightning, he would be willing to go. So, I decided to go. The storms did their best to taunt me by keeping their distance and sending lighting strikes everywhere but in my field of view but if there's one thing lightning has taught me, it is to be patient. Eventually I was rewarded with a couple decent shots but nothing spectacular. The wind was also very strong and I was having trouble keeping the tripod stable so the city light look a little blurry but the lightning came out clear.


Las Cruces lightning. My other photos can be seen at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamblalock/

Other things I am up to besides enjoying the wonderful weather is I am leaving for Santa Rosa, California tomorrow. The original plan was for me to try my hand at the Vineman Ironman Triathlon (my first full ironman) but since I broke my rib two weeks ago, the race is just not going to happen. I tried to change my flight to a later date but the penalty fees were crazy high. Then I tried to get a refund on the race but rules are rules and I was too late to get the refund. Now I really have no choice but to show up five days before the race that I am not going to do. At least I don't have to worry about shipping my bike now.

Brianne decided to do the Vineman half-iron aqua bike but she will not be showing up until Thursday (I hope). My mom is coming in on Wednesday so that will be very nice since it was Christmas when we were last together. So from Monday to Wednesday I have all to myself. "What will I do", I kept thinking. "Should I go to Yosemite National Park. Yeah, but it is the peak vacation period and there will be 2 billion people there no doubt. What about Big Sur, California. I like the ocean but I don't know." Then I remembered Santa Rosa is only three and a half hours south of the Redwoods. The option of seeing ginormous trees AND the ocean was enough. It's settled I will drive up to see the mighty Redwoods for a few days.

Also a little update on the rib: So I went for a 50 min. ride this morning and things felt okay. I was thinking yeah. I probably could ride the 112 mile ironman bike course and even run afterwards. However, all that twisting, jerking, and thrashing involved in that 2.4 mile swim didn't sound fun at all, or even possible. I am confident I have made the right choice not to race on Saturday. Oh, so back to the bike ride this morning. Yeah it was okay but still a little rough. Coming out of the saddle is sketchy and at one point my chain slipped forcing me to put all of my weight on my arms for balance and man, my rib sure didn't like that! But it is getting better and pretty soon I will be back to 100%.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always so impressed and jealous of your lightning photos. Have fun in CA and seeing your mom! That'll be a fun trip even though I bet you are disappointed about the race. Maybe next year..

    ReplyDelete