Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Maybe it's for the Better

Today is day three after my bike wreck and I have been thinking a lot about stuff. Instead of the train-a-holic most people view me as I have had several days now to sit and just think about things. Before I get to my thoughts I will share a little update on how my injuries are progressing.

This morning getting out of bed was still quite painful but not as painful as the first morning. However, I wouldn't say that this morning was any less painful than yesterday. Maybe that's because yesterday I took a fair amount of Vicoden. Anyway, I can't hardly feel my chin and it's stitches anymore, which is nice, but my rib just seems to be sore all the time. Again I don't know what it is but getting up in the morning is excruciating. Perhaps not moving for 8 hours has something to do with it. I have also noticed that it is starting to make a ugly, grinding, popping, gurgling sound whenever I take a larger breath. It doesn't really cause pain but the sound and feeling it makes is rather nauseating. Mom informed me that taking and staying on top of your pain is important so that the pain does not get unbearable. Lots of pain equals shallow breathing which could lead to pneumonia. Improvement does look to be hovering just over the horizon but it will still take a little time to get there.

Other things I have been up to is reading my new book "Grapes and Wine" by Oz Clarke. I am not really a wine drinker but the growing of grapes has intrigued me for a little while now. It probably started after I took that Viticulture class at the University of Idaho and then now with my planned trip to Napa Valley, California for the Vineman Ironman Triathlon. Which reminds me, I need to contact the race director (Russ Pugh who is a giant pumpkin grower [another old hobby of mine I might talk a little bit about later]) and see if I can possibly get a refund on my race. So back to grapes. Most viticulturists, I feel, are too concerned and fixated on the making of wine and drinking of the wine. The bottom line is that you need exceptional grapes to get an exceptional product. Most people don't realize just how important good grapes are. With my horticultural background I believe I could produce a superior grape given the time and space. I can do it with vegetables and flowers, why not grapes?

All this extra time has allowed me to get caught up and in control of my masters research project. I honestly forgot how much fun I have, pretending to be (oh wait, now I actually am) a "mad" scientist. I have been doodling in my notebook about potential experiments I can do in the greenhouse this winter with plant growth regulators (plant hormones). Currently I am working with ethylene and the ripening of cayenne chile peppers but my professor and I believe there is another plant growth regulator (or several) involved. Mainly abscisic acid. But most of you don't care so that is all about that insightful little essay.

Brianne and I have been on neutral terms for a little while now. I really miss her but she thinks that this is because I have all of a sudden had lots of time on my hands and I am probably just feeling vulnerable. I don't know. I have always enjoyed spending time with Brianne. She is very funny, outgoing, active, smart, pretty, and intellectual. She makes me feel good. Sometimes Brianne's moods can change so suddenly that they throw me for a loop and I don't know what to do other than just get away because nothing works. She can be downright mean and she knows just what to do and say to hurts my feelings. But she knows about these moods and she is working on it. We occasionally talk about these feeling and how to better control them. She is actually doing better. I am really happy for her and glad to help when I can.

Lastly, I have also been thinking a great deal about triathlon. I really truly do enjoy swimming, biking, and running, but the time it takes to excel at all three is almost foolish. Even if you are exceptional at all three and probably have what it takes to turn pro and possibly make some money, is it really worth it? For example, I really like gardening and spending time around plants. I also like photography, and reading, hiking, camping, traveling, and learning. Being so focused and single minded is also hard on relationships. Is one able to fulfill their life meanings and pleasures doing just one or two of their favorite things. For some it might be. For others... Is that what I want? At times I think it is. But now...? With this down time after the crash, I have had time to sit back (something I haven't done in a while) and think about where I want my life to go. What do I want? What is REALLY important to me?

1 comment:

  1. RUSS PUGH! That is why I have a t-shirt from there! HE SENT IT TO ME :). Thanks for helping me figure it all out. I don't think "figuring it all out" is going to be that easy for you; you have a TON on your mind! Figuring out life isn't very easy that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete