Tuesday, July 20, 2010

You Know What? I Really Like Not Training!

Today is day 9 after my big bike accident and honestly, I don't really miss training that much. Everyone has been super supportive and concerned for me. I really appreciate them for that. There words of encouragement involved stuff like, "You will be back on your bike before you know it", "You can do some weights now to increase your strength for when you return to training", and "Now you can properly have a rest week to let things recover so that when you come back, you will be even stronger." All of these words of encouragement are heart-felt but truthfully, I am enjoying myself so much doing the other hobbies I used to do before training I don't miss it all that much.

I am still actively involved in triathlon however, but in a more indirect way. Currently I have decided to volunteer to be the running coach for the NMSU Race Club. Last year was fun but there seemed to be no structure in the workouts or meaning behind them. I am looking forward to creating the ultimate 5 and 10K running calendar. I am confident that I can get everyone in the club to take big chunks off of there current 5 and 10K PR's. Yak yak yak. We will see.

The other day Taylor and I went to the Home Depot for some minor supplies and I passionately stumbled on some amazing Cattelya and Vanda orchids for sale. Yes you heard me correctly, Vanda orchids, the most exotic and beautiful of all the orchids as far as I am concerned. Remembering my obsession for these rare and gorgeous plants I bought one of each. I didn't care if I spent my last dollar on them, I just had to have them to play with. I also bought some tropicals and a nice palm for the tropical garden that is coming together nicely. Next I might get a fountain of some sorts.


Vanda coeurlea 'Blue Magic'

At Barns and Nobles I bought a sketch journal and am excited to start drawing and sketching again. I am pretty rusty with my hand eye coordination after 6 years off but it will come around. And if it doesn't oh well, I am fired up to start intimately observing the world around me once again.

Also, our yard is starting to finally come together and the plants and grass are growing madly because of the little bit of water they are receiving. In the desert, if a plant so much as "senses" moisture it puts on the most dramatic display of growth ever. All this growth persuaded me to buy a push mower (which not only works better than a motorized mower, but is way more fun to operate). And then last night I caught a baby gecko! Yes our yard it becoming so much of an oasis that the lizards and geckos are having babies!

Oh, and I guess I can give a brief update on the chin and rib. So I had my stitches taken out yesterday. That was nice. My scab came off. That was even nicer and way to satisfying. My rib still aches pretty bad but it is, for the most part, getting better (slooooooooowly though). I think I may have broken more than just one rib while I'm talking about it. I for sure brok the number 9 rib but a rib more on the side and up a few ribs feels very achey and bruised too. I should get the x-ray so I can have a look for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment