Sunday, August 29, 2010

Time Trialing

I will start with the bicycling time trial which was held Thursday evening on the out and back strait but slightly hilly Frontage Road. Taylor helped me set up and measure the course with his Garmin-thingy so we know for a fact that the course is extremely accurate. Then, once everyone was together, we lined up in a random order to start the time trial. It is rather amusing to me but as my time to go drew near I became a little nervous. I had a goal in my mind but not feeling completely well (from something I must have ate the day or two before), I wasn't sure if I could do it. Eventually I was off and my nerves were replaced with labored breathing and burning legs.

I have learned a lot (at least I think I have) about how to pedal and how not to pedal. Pushing hard doesn't make you go fast, it just makes you tired. I tried to remember what I learned this last year of cycling as I forged onward. I hit the 10K turn around and was pretty much spent but I knew I would get a slight tail wind so that lifted my spirits slightly. I saw I had made up some significant time on Taylor who started in front of me. With around 3 miles left I could feel myself slowing as I approached that mental barrier of pain and exhaustion. I knew I went out too fast but I also expected to stay strong on the return trip banking on my endurance and my new more aero position. For a mile or two I really suffered and no doubt lost some valuable time. I luckily managed to hold on to what time I had amassed and crossed the finish line obliterating my old time trialing pace. I am so happy my hard work on the bike is finally beginning to show.


Time Trialing on the Frontage Road.

Friday was the swim. I was quite intimidated since the last time I swam was mid July before I broke my rib. I was hoping 7 weeks off from swimming would be adequate time to allow almost full range of my motion to return. Thankfully, 7 weeks is enough time but just barely. I am still a little sore. The timed 1000yd went well, I am happy to report, but I have lost a lot of my strength in the water. I finished behind the new tri-club member Zac (who will be a dominant force to recon with later) so I thought I had cut it short but I guess I didn't. Strange. I really didn't feel strong or powerful in the water but I guess I still have the ability to swim. Out of all the disciplines I think I am most satisfied with my swim.

Saturday morning was the 5K run in El Paso. It's funny but after all my years of racing 5K's you'd think I would figure out how to race them fast. I suppose I just have to settle on knowing that I will never be a fast 5K runner. It is frustrating beyond belief and I'll give you an example. My first 6 miles on the run at the Memorial Hermann 70.3 were sub 6:00 min. And that was after swimming and biking my brains out. Then on a simple fresh 5K I am only able to hold a 5:56 mile pace. Pretty much the same, if not slower. However, I need to be happy about my performance because I won a free pair of shoes out of it. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment